The Department of Botany, established in June 1975, is one of the leading Departments of Shivaji University in the field of teaching and research in plant sciences. After that, in keeping pace with the advances in various aspects of Plant Sciences, the department introduced course on Plant Protection in 1985 for second year. This department is actively imparting the knowledge of subject to the needy students and awareness among them about environment related issues. We have well equipped laboratory with modern instruments and enough working area.
The infrastructure of department is getting improved and enriched day by day since its inspection. So far fourty one batches of the students have completed their graduation from the department of Botany. The alumni of the department are working in various fields and catering their family needs and serving for the nation.
The Department has undertaken research projects in the areas of plant physiology, plant pathology, medicinal plant and ethnobotany, aerobiology, environmental botany and plant taxonomy for which it has received generous funding from various funding agencies like UGC and Shivaji University.
Program Specific outcome
After successful completion of three year degree program in Botany a student is able to;
- PSO-1. Students acquire fundamental Botanical knowledge through theory and practical‟s.
- PSO-2. To explain basis plant of life, reproduction and their survival in nature. Department of Botany
- PSO-3. Helped to understand role of living and fossil plants in our life.
- PSO-4. Understand good laboratory practices and safety.
- PSO-5 To create awareness about cultivation, conservation and sustainable utilization of biodiversity.
- PSO-6. To know advance techniques in plant sciences like tissue culture, Phytoremediation, plant disease management, formulation of new herbal drugs etc.
- PSO-7 Students able to start nursery, mushroom cultivation, biofertilizer production, fruit preservation and horticultural practices.
- PO-1. Students know about different types of lower & higher plants their evolution in from algae to angiosperm &also their economic and ecological importance.
- PO-2. Cell biology gives knowledge about cell organelles & their functions
- PO-3. Molecular biology gives knowledge about chemical properties of nucleic acid and their role in living systems.
- PO-4. Genetics provides knowledge about laws of inheritance, various genetic interactions, chromosomal abrasions & multiple alleles.
- PO-5. Structural changes in chromosomes.
- PO-6.Student can describe morphological & reproductive characters of plant and also identified different plant families and classification.
- PO-7.They knows economic importance of various plant products & artificial methods of plant propagation
- PO-8. Use modern Botanical techniques and decent equipments.
- PO-9.To inculcates the scientific temperament in the students and outside the scientific community.